Sunday, November 6, 2011

Introduction

From what I've seen there is little information out there on MTB Routes in North East Fife, advice generally being, "Go to the Sidlaws" or "Try Pitmedden".

Well I want to fall out of bed at home in Wormit and head off straight from the Garage, I am going to try and add point to point route sections rather than full routes so anyone wanting to stick together a route of a length of their choice can put one together.

These routes have all been done by me, my fitness level is reasonable and my technical ability is poor.

Bike: I have done all of these on a GT Zaskar hardtail MTB.

Ground conditions: Fife has a variety of ground conditions ranging from rock to Sand and just about every surface in between, I've been doing these with Panaracer FireXC tyres, the back one is fairly slick which isn't great on Sand or Mud.

Stuff you need to carry:
I tend to head out with 2x 750ml bottles of liquid, my house keys, my phone and layered to suit the temperature.  I should probably carry more...

Maps:
Although I don't carry the maps with me, I do generally remember the map outline of the area I am going to and since I live in the area I know how to identify direction based on various landmarks such as the Tay, Hopetoun monument, what roads I can see and what way the hills are sloping...

Although this is all covered by OS Landranger 59 (St Andrews), I recommend OS Explorer Sheets 370 and 371.
I also recommend using the Bing Mapping to allow you to compare the OS 1:50k (Landranger) mapping they show with aerial photographs to identify just what sorts of paths actually exist.